Barrier-free Bathrooms: Accessible Design
Designing bathrooms with accessibility as a priority
June 08, 2023 | By Grace Bergen, CCCA
Luncheon on June 8, 2023
Presented by Maria Rudman
Architectural Services Manager - Schluter Systems (Canada) Inc.
This seminar will examine ways in which barrier-free environments can be customized to include various design elements while remaining compliant for accessibility based on the national standard CSA B651-18.
This seminar will also address why bonded waterproofing technology lends itself to the construction requirements of barrier-free design.Maria has many qualifications including:
- Understand that there are varying standards for barrier-free construction.
- Recognize the specialized waterproofing measures that must be taken when designing a curb-less shower for an accessibility compliant barrier-free environment.
- Be able to specify and incorporate custom design elements into an accessibility compliant barrier-free shower.
- Be able to seek out resources detailing accessibility specifications of special requirements for shower seating, niches, grab bars, benches etc.
- Bachelor of Commerce in Entrepreneurial Management (RRU, 2005)
- Certified Technical Representative (2007 Vancouver)
- Toastmaster designation - Competent Communicator (2016)
- Architectural Specification Rep in BC for the last 17 years (flooring & tile)
- Flooring sub-contractor, project manager, estimator & flooring sales prior for 8 years (Victoria, BC)
- CAD operator in early career (BC)
Born and raised in the floor covering industry, Maria has gained a wealth of installation knowledge through hands on commercial project management. In her spare time she enjoys gardening, hiking and travelling with her husband.
Send an email to email@example.com if you would like to attend this luncheon